[Haskell-cafe] GLUT, FLGW, FLGW-b

Tim C. Schroeder tim at blitzcode.net
Fri Dec 13 09:01:02 UTC 2013

I'd agree, use GLFW-b. I'm very happy with it!

As far as the font rendering is concerned, if all you need is a basic bitmap font to get some text on the screen, you might be able to use some code I wrote as a self-contained, drop-in replacement:

https://github.com/blitzcode/haskell-gol/blob/master/parallel-glfwb/src/Font.hs

(Looking at that code now, might want to bracket inside of withFontTexture. That code was written before Simon Marlow's book taught me about the wonders of Haskell exception handling...)

I also wrote a Haskell FT2 binding. It's a very nice library with a decent API and few dependencies, so that was quite doable. The problem is that FT2 is really 'just' a glyph rasterizer. All other functionality is either rudimentary (kerning, glyph mapping) or out of the scope of the library (ligatures, glyph substitution, OpenType text layout in general). You'll need another library on top / besides it to get text rendering quality like in native GUI toolkits or a web browser. Obvious choices would be Pango or HarfBuzz, but those are more complicated to write a Haskell binding for (dependencies, C++, etc.).

A 'just works' solution for platform and giant-GUI-toolkit independent, high-quality text rendering is sorely missing from the Haskell ecosystem, as far as I can tell. Doing an FT2 binding and the OpenGL glyph caching / texture atlas generation etc. is fine, but I'm afraid getting something like HarfBuzz/Pango up and running exceeds my Cabal-fu, for now.

Cheers,
Tim