[Haskell-cafe] GLUT, FLGW, FLGW-b

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 18:15:30 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 3:05 AM, Sven Panne <svenpanne at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/12/12 Vlad Lopatin <madjestic13 at gmail.com>:
> > I keep reading (wiki) that GLUT is a legacy package and some libraries
> (e.g.
> > GLFW) are meant to replace it.  I also see that some of the GLUT
> > functionality is based on fixed pipeline.  What is the current status of
> > Haskell GLUT?  Is it 'to stay' or something that is going to be
> deprecated
> > at some point?  Should one try replacing it with GLFW(-b) in a project,
> if
> > fixed pipeline is not expected to be used?
>
> I think this really depends on your needs: GLUT was designed as a
> simple cross-platform API for OpenGL demos and tutorials, perhaps even
> some programs of medium complexity.

I prefer GLFW-b for cross platform programs for the simple reason that on
windows GLUT requires you to install a DLL and make sure it's in the path.

I prefer GLFW-b more generally because it's more modern, fully open source,
and under active development. The license for GLUT is open in practice but
it's not a clean open source license. I guess most people use freeglut
instead.

Jason