[Haskell-cafe] XEventPtr in Xlib?

EatsKittens temporalabstraction at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 17:24:32 UTC 2013

Hmm, I think I now know how to work with XEventPtr's with allocaXEvent
event, what I have now is this:

raiseWin :: Win -> IO ();
  raiseWin w = let {
      d         = disp w;
      r         = root w;
      xID       = xid w;
    } in
      do {
        ctime   <- Monad.liftM (\(Time.TOD t _) -> fromIntegral t)
Time.getClockTime;
        atom    <- Xlib.Atom.internAtom d "_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW" True;
        Xlib.Event.allocaXEvent $ \ePtr -> do {
          Xlib.Extras.setEventType            ePtr XTypes.clientMessage;
          Xlib.Extras.setClientMessageEvent   ePtr xID atom 32 2 ctime;

          Xlib.Event.sendEvent d r False
            (Xlib.substructureNotifyMask .|. Xlib.substructureRedirectMask)
ePtr;
        };
      };

where root in the Win record is derived from:

 (root, parent, _)
      <- Xlib.Extras.queryTree d xid;

The code compiles and type checks, it just doesn't... work, it does
nothing. Replacing the code with:

  raiseWin w =
    System.Process.rawSystem "xdotool" ["windowactivate", show x] >> return
() where {
      x = xid w;
    }

Makes it work without errors, inspecting the code of xdotool makes it
reveal to use the "_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW" client message to the root hole? Any
idea what I could be doing wrongly, is this the correct root window?