[Haskell-cafe] Google headhunters (was: Re: PhD at age 45?)

Steffen Schuldenzucker sschuldenzucker at uni-bonn.de
Tue Dec 3 21:48:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, 3 Dec 2013 20:20:37 +0000 (UTC)
AntC <anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz> wrote:
> [...]
> Re work: curiously, I recently received an unsolicited email from Google
> inviting me to 'have a conversation' [managementspeak yeuch!].
> This was apparently based on my volume of postings on the forum. (I
> suspect not on their quality ;-) I suggested that first they look at my
> LinkedIn page, which would have roughly revealed my age -- already greater
> than yours will be when you 'come out of school'.
>
> Since then, nothing. Nada. Not even an acknowledgement. Rude, I call it.
>
> I think you'll find ageism is still rife in the industry.

Sorry for totally leaving the original topic here, but:

Same for me: Got an e-mail from some "technical sourcer", replied (I'll actually be looking for a job soon), never got anything back. - Twice!

I imagine they do a
> forM_ (users haskell_cafe) $ \u ->
>   when ("functional" `elem` words (linkedin_page u)) $ send (std_email u) u
, but with several agents which don't sync back their results.

Doesn't seem to be age-related, though. (I'm 25)

-- Steffen

--
Steffen Schuldenzucker <sschuldenzucker at uni-bonn.de>