[Haskell-cafe] PhD at age 45?

AntC anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Tue Dec 3 20:20:37 UTC 2013

> Dennis Raddle <dennis.raddle <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> ... I guess I'm wondering if it's a good idea to begin a PhD in CS at
> age 45

Dennis, if you have a passion or even an 'interest', follow it.

Beware that a PhD is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration.
I have, sadly, seen many PhDs stifling the passion with which they were
started.

> My goal is to obtain work that interests me, ...

Re work: curiously, I recently received an unsolicited email from Google
inviting me to 'have a conversation' [managementspeak yeuch!].
This was apparently based on my volume of postings on the forum. (I
suspect not on their quality ;-) I suggested that first they look at my
LinkedIn page, which would have roughly revealed my age -- already greater
than yours will be when you 'come out of school'.

Since then, nothing. Nada. Not even an acknowledgement. Rude, I call it.

I think you'll find ageism is still rife in the industry.

AntC