[Haskell-cafe] existential quantification

Andras Slemmer 0slemi0 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 00:47:25 UTC 2013

> But below I do not understand your reasoning.

Given a datatype

data D = D Int

I call Int the type you're constructing D with, however the type of the
constructor itself is Int -> D

In ghc haskell there is another way of defining the same type using GADTs
alongside the above "haskell98" way:

data D where
  D :: Int -> D

Notice how here we are explicitly typing the constructor.

The haskell98 way defines what your datatype D is isomorphic to - here it
is Int, whereas the GADT way defines how to construct a D.

The problem haskell developers faced was that in order to use the haskell98
way for existentials they would've had to introduce an 'exists' quantifier,
which would mess up a boatload of things in the type theory. Instead they
introduced this forall hack that doesn't define an isomorphic type, rather
it indicates that we are defining a way of constructing an existential.
I find this ugly because it breaks the isomorphism that the = sign
indicates in a haskell98 definition.

The GADT way on the other hand is defining ways of construction, so a
definition like:
data D2 where
  D2 :: a -> D2
makes perfect sense

> Is there around a good textbook for "beginners", with full proofs, but
only the essential ones?

Types and Programming Languages from Benjamin Pierce is a good one. I also
plan to upload a short video lecture series from Harper on type theory (it
assumes minimal knowledge of logic), i'll send you a link when it's up.