[Haskell-cafe] existential quantification

Andras Slemmer 0slemi0 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 19:50:36 UTC 2013

Just expanding on Brandon's answer: DeMorgan's law he's referring to goes
like this:
∀a.P(a) === ¬∃a.¬P(a) where 'a' is a sentence, so P is second order
A special case of this is this:
∀a.(R(a) -> Q) === ¬∃a.¬(R(a) -> Q) === ¬∃a.(R(a)∧¬Q) === ¬((∃a.R(a))∧¬Q)
=== (∃a.R(a)) -> Q   (i added extra parantheses for emphasis)
So what does this mean in terms of haskell? R(a) is your data definition's
"body", and Q is the type you are defining. On the lhs the universally
quantified version gives you the type of the constuctor you're defining,
and on the rhs the existential tells you what you're constructing the type
with.
Or in other words the universal version says: For any 'a' give me an R(a)
and i'll give you back a Q.
The existential version says: If you have some 'a' for which R(a) i'll give
you back a Q. (It's hard to phrase the difference without sounding stupid,
they are equivalent after all).

There are of course other considerations, for example introducing 'exists'
would mean another keyword in the syntax.

Having said that I think that the choice of 'forall' for
-XExistentialQuantification is wrong, as the data body defines the type
you're constructing with, not the type of the whole constructor. HOWEVER
for -XGADTs forall makes perfect sense. Compare the following:

data AnyType = forall a. AnyType a
data AnyType where
  AnyType :: forall a. a -> AnyType

These two definitions are operationally identical, but I think the GADT way
is the one that actually corresponds to the DeMorgan law.