[Haskell-cafe] On Markdown in Haddock and why it's not going to happen

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Fri Aug 30 03:30:51 CEST 2013

Greetings café,

Perhaps some saddening news for Markdown fans out there. As you might
remember, there was a fair amount of push for having Markdown as an
alternate syntax for Haddock.

Unfortunately, this is probably not going to happen for reasons listed
on the post I just published at [1].

This thread is meant to be for discussion about the post as many people,
myself included, felt that Markdown would be a nice thing to have.

I feel like I covered the topic fairly well on the post but feel free to
give suggestions or ask questions.

I would also like to remind you that if there's something that you'd
like to see in Haddock or something that you feel is broken, a good way
express this is to make a ticket on the Haddock Trac[2].

I will close the relevant Markdown ticket on the Trac[3] in about 3
days, unless someone can come up with a reasonable solution that meets
the initial intent of this part of the project: a widely known markup
format that could be used as an alternate syntax for Haddock so that
it's possible to write the documentation without learning the vanilla
syntax itself.

[1]:
http://fuuzetsu.co.uk/blog/posts/2013-08-30-why-Markdown-in-Haddock-can't-happen.html

[2]: http://trac.haskell.org/haddock