[Haskell-cafe] enumerators: exception that can't be catched

Yuras Shumovich shumovichy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 14:45:27 CEST 2013

Hi,

Isn't it by design? Consider the next code:

import Data.Enumerator (($$), (>>==))
import qualified Data.Enumerator as E
import qualified Data.Enumerator.List as EL
import Control.Exception
import Control.Monad.IO.Class

main :: IO ()
main = do
  res <- E.run $ myEnum $$
    EL.take 5 `E.catchError` (\_ -> liftIO (print "exception") >> return
[])
  print res

myEnum :: Monad m => E.Enumerator Int m b
-- myEnum (E.Continue k) = k (E.Chunks [1, 2]) >>== myEnum  -- (1)
-- myEnum (E.Continue k) = E.throwError (ErrorCall "EEE")   -- (2)
myEnum step = E.returnI step

If uncomment (1), then myEnum will generate infinite list like [1, 2, 1,
2, ...]. If uncomment (2), then it will throw exception, and it can't be
caught. Is it a correct behavior? Or I have a bug in "myEnum"
implementation?

It makes some sense for me: when enumerator throws error, then there is
no way to proceed, and "E.run" returns Left immediately. So,
"throwError" in enumerator can't be caught. Is it correct?

Then it seems to be a design bug in websockets -- it is not possible to
know from the WebSockets monad that client closed connection.

Thanks,
Yuras