[Haskell-cafe] definition of the term "combinator"

John Wiegley johnw at fpcomplete.com
Sat Aug 24 07:37:14 CEST 2013

>     Where can I find a formal and precise definition of the term
>     "combinator",

A function that uses nothing but its arguments.

>     as a term used by the Haskell community to describe "something"?

I find that Haskellers often use combinator to mean "a function that makes new
functions out of other functions", which it can often do as a pure combinator,
but isn't always a combinator per se.

--
John Wiegley
FP Complete                         Haskell tools, training and consulting