[Haskell-cafe] Yet Another Forkable Class

suhorng Y suhorng at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 17:32:47 CEST 2013

For the open union used in extensible effects, apart from using the
Typeable mechanism, is there a more protected way to implement
the open sum type?

I managed to modified the Member class given in the paper, but
ended up having to use the vague OverlappingInstance. That's not
quite what I hope. I'm not even sure whether the instance `Member t (t :>
r)`
is more specific than `Member t (t' :> r)`.

--
suhorng

{-# LANGUAGE KindSignatures, TypeOperators, GADTs, FlexibleInstances,
             FlexibleContexts, MultiParamTypeClasses, OverlappingInstances
#-}
-- FlexibleContexts is for Show instance of Union

import Data.Functor
import Control.Applicative -- for several functor instances

-- open union
infixr 2 :>
data (a :: * -> *) :> b

data Union r v where
  Elsewhere :: Functor t' => Union r v -> Union (t' :> r) v
  Here :: Functor t => t v -> Union (t :> r) v

class Member t r where
  inj :: Functor t => t v -> Union r v
  prj :: Functor t => Union r v -> Maybe (t v)

instance Member t (t :> r) where
  inj tv = Here tv
  prj (Here tv)     = Just tv
  prj (Elsewhere _) = Nothing

-- Note: overlapped by letting t' = t
instance (Functor t', Member t r) => Member t (t' :> r) where
  inj tv = Elsewhere (inj tv)
  prj (Here _)      = Nothing
  prj (Elsewhere u) = prj u

decomp :: Functor t => Union (t :> r) v -> Either (Union r v) (t v)
decomp (Here tv)     = Right tv
decomp (Elsewhere u) = Left u

-- Auxiliary definitions for tests
data Void
newtype Func a = Func a

instance Show (Union Void a) where
  show _ = undefined

instance (Show (t v), Show (Union r v)) => Show (Union (t :> r) v) where
  show (Here tv)     = "Here " ++ show tv
  show (Elsewhere u) = "Elsewhere " ++ show u

instance Functor Func where
  fmap f (Func x) = Func (f x)

instance Show a => Show (Func a) where
  show (Func a) = show a

type Stk = Maybe :> Either Char :> Func :> Void
type Stk' = Either Char :> Func :> Void -- used in `deTrue`, `deFalse`

unTrue :: Union Stk Bool
unTrue = inj (Func True)

unFalse :: Union Stk Bool
unFalse = inj (Just False)

-- `Func` is repeated
un5 :: Union (Maybe :> Func :> Either Char :> Func :> Void) Int
un5 = inj (Func 5)

maybe2 :: Maybe (Func Int)
maybe2 = prj un5

maybeTrue :: Maybe (Func Bool)
maybeTrue = prj unTrue

maybeFalse1 :: Maybe (Func Bool)
maybeFalse1 = prj unFalse

maybeFalse2 :: Maybe (Maybe Bool)
maybeFalse2 = prj unFalse

deTrue :: Either (Union Stk' Bool) (Maybe Bool)
deTrue = decomp unTrue

deFalse :: Either (Union Stk' Bool) (Maybe Bool)
deFalse = decomp unFalse