[Haskell-cafe] haskore -> lilypond -> typesetting?

Al Matthews prolepsis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 11:16:59 CEST 2013

Abjad, which is a Python library, is probably worth study here for its
integration and general re-embrace of Lilypond as a compositional tool.

http://www.projectabjad.org/

Note that in Lilypond one can define a Scheme function over for example a
set of notes.

Al Matthews
-- http://fatmilktv.com

On Aug 21, 2013 12:41 PM, "Stephen Tetley" <stephen.tetley at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Here's one I did earlier..."
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/44929957@N03/4459628487/lightbox/
>
> This is Haskore implementation of Chick Corea's "Child Song 6" rendered
to LilyPond - I don't imagine Mr. Corea's publishers will be sending me a
takedown request any time soon.

> There's a lot missing from Haskore that is needed to make good scores -
the renderer of the above took a lot of effort with metrical grouping but
the result is still abysmal.

> I doubt mathematics can help (common practice) music typesetting much -
Western notation has had a thousand years to develop without the constraint
of a regular syntax; so if Lilypond is horrible it is mostly the fault of
what it tries to typeset (it does make some unwarranted mistakes like
over-restricting the characters it can use for "variable" names and its
parenthesizing is horrible).