[Haskell-cafe] Applicative is like an Arrow

damodar kulkarni kdamodar2000 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 08:50:54 CEST 2013

Thanks again for the detailed and explanatory answer.

That's the reason I'm writing these huge responses, because I hope I can
> shorten this journey for others.

This has certainly helped me grasp some aspects in this regard.

While Monad Transformers are awesome and can solve many problems quite
> easily, I'm pretty sure that there is almost always a nicer, "more
> functional" way to solve such a problem.

Incidentally, I happened to bump in to this paper, it claims they have
found a way that allows us get rid of the need of monad transformers in a
more systematic manner, by using what they call "Monad coproduct". The
paper titled "Composing Monads Using Coproducts" is here. [1]

I haven't understood it much till now, and it seems I will have to try real
hard to read this paper.

Ref.
[1] http://isi.uni-bremen.de/~cxl/habil/papers/icfp02.pdf

Thanks and regards,