[Haskell-cafe] Applicative is like an Arrow

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 16:26:42 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Thiago Negri <evohunz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just stumbled upon the Applicative term.
> Arrows are quite difficult for me to understand at the moment.
> I guess it needs time to digest.
>
> But, as I understand so far, Applicative and Arrows looks like the same
> thing.

Practically, that's not too far off. Arrows, at least as implemented
currently, have a number of significant restrictions based on the need for
the `arr` combinator to accomplish much of anything; Applicative has, as a
result, largely taken over the spot in the Haskell ecosystem that Arrow was
originally intended to fill.

My understanding is that there's a rework of Arrow in progress that may
change this in the future, since *theoretical* Arrows are more distinct,
flexible and useful than the current implementation.