[Haskell-cafe] Does exist something like "data-files" in Cabal, which works at compile time?

Alfredo Di Napoli alfredo.dinapoli at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 11:58:26 CEST 2013

Hello guys,

I'm pretty sure the answer is "no", but I was hoping to get some extra
insight / best practices. The problem can be summarised by this SO question
(not the OP, but I have the same problem):

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15731170/cabal-how-to-add-text-file-as-a-build-dependency

As someone states, "data-files" in for run-time, whereas I need to tell
cabal "please copy these files in place before trying to compile", so at
compile-time.

Does something similar exist?

I think the best solution, unless someone prove me wrong, is to create a
small startup script which copies the files for me (I *think* yesod is
using something similar, namely a script called EmbeddedFiles.hs) and then
triggers "cabal install" the usual way. Can you come up with a better way?

Thanks in advance!

Alfredo