[Haskell-cafe] Alternative name for return

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 05:39:24 CEST 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Simon Peyton-Jones
<simonpj at microsoft.com>wrote:

> |  Indeed, I wished the 0-ary case would be more alike to the unary and
> |  binary case, cf.
> |
> |     return f0
> |     f1 <$> a1
> |     f2 <$> a1 <*> a2
> |
> |  What is needed is a nice syntax for "idiom brackets".
>
> Indeed.  I'm quite open to adding idiom brackets to GHC, if everyone can
> agree on their syntax, and someone would like to offer a patch.
>
> Something like
>         (| f a1 a2 |)

The last time I suggested this (on IRC), the first question someone asked
was: How should nested uses of applicative work with idiom brackets? I
think this question actually comes in two flavors:

  * Can you nest the brackets themselves?
  * How deeply do you traverse the expression to insert the applicative
combinators?

Also, if anyone wants to look at prior art first, Idris supports
applicative brackets.

Jason