[Haskell-cafe] Alternative name for return

David Thomas davidleothomas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 17:07:18 CEST 2013

Return is all about providing a value *when used transitively*.  When used
intransitively, it's about moving yourself.  There's nothing about the
latter sense that implies providing a value.

Which is not to say Richard did not overstate the case - "return needn't
necessarily (in English) suggest providing a value" would be more correct,
but isn't that far from a charitable interpretation of what he'd said.