[Haskell-cafe] Alternative name for return

Jerzy Karczmarczuk jerzy.karczmarczuk at unicaen.fr
Tue Aug 6 11:43:39 CEST 2013

Le 06/08/2013 11:01, J. Stutterheim a écrit :
> ... So in reply to Jerzy, I do want to encourage the discussion in the "Noble Domain of Philosophy" and I also want to repeat that I am not proposing to change Haskell or Haskell libraries

Jurriën, I taught Haskell for several years. I saw the disgraceful confusion in heads of my students whose previous programming experience was based on Python, and who learned Haskell and Java in parallel. So, I won't claim that names are irrelevant. And "return" in particular.

However, my personal "philosophy" is the following: accept the fact that words in one language -- formal or natural -- mean something different than in another one. [[In French the word "file" in computerese is "queue" in English; this is in fact a French word meaning "tail" in English, and I have several dozens of such examples... And so what?...]]

It is good to choose consciously some good names while elaborating a standard. But getting back to it after several years, is -- for me -- a waste of time. This, unfortunately, pollutes the true philosophy as well. I believe that at least 80% of the "progress" in the philosophy of religions belongs to the linguistic domain.

The anglosaxons corupted the word "semantics", used in a pejorative sense: "discussion about superficialities, the words, not the concepts", while the true semantics is about the true sense.

So, sorry for being sarcastic, or even cynical in my previous post, but I sincerely think that oldies are oldies, let them be, and work more on issues that are still evolving.

All the best.

Jerzy