[Haskell-cafe] Markdown extension for Haddock as a GSoC project

Alexander Kjeldaas alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 10:16:21 CEST 2013

I see the pluggable markup being pushed in this thread again.

I just want to remind everybody that we currently have a flavor of a markup
issue on github.

The ghc source code uses literal haskell, and it does not work well on
github.

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2013-April/001099.html

Any markup that is not widely supported makes it harder for third parties
to support and parse.

The solution is *not* to reimplement github in haskell, but to standardize
markup as much as possible.

Pluggable markup makes the probability that a github-like service, IDEs and
similar can make use of the documentation arbitrarily close to zero.

Alexander