[Haskell-cafe] Markdown extension for Haddock as a GSoC project

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Sun Apr 28 13:18:26 CEST 2013

On 28/04/13 11:57, Joe Nash wrote:
> On 28 Apr 2013 11:33, "Mateusz Kowalczyk" <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> If the flexibility of having it pandoc compatible is a desired
>>> feature, can this not be achieved through implementing markdown
>>> for haddock as well? Depending on what haddock specific
>>> features were required to be added to the superset, it may
>>> require only minimal changes to an existing markdown
>>> reader/writer in pandoc already.
>> It can, but the restriction comment applies here as well.
>
> Does it? If it is suitable to write in another markup and convert
> to haddock with pandoc, why is it more restrictive to write in
> another markup and convert to pandoc-markdown? Have I missed a
> point here?

Extending core Haddock allows us to:
1. Write in any of the Pandoc supported formats, including Markdown
2. Convert it to pure Haddock. This can then be converted back into a
different format if need be.

Extending Haddock with a Markdown extension allows us to:
1. Write the documentation in any of Pandoc supported formats
(including our new Markdown)
2. Convert it from a Pandoc supported format to our Markdown extension
as Haddock isn't expressive enough as is to be used.

It's a question of being able to go from `Many formats <-> Pandoc <->
Many formats' and `Markdown extension <-> Pandoc <-> Many formats'.
> I think these are starting to form two projects with tangential,
> but slightly differing goals. It would be interesting to see the
> results if we diverged here and a proposal was submitted for both
> ideas.

I think the goal is still the same: in the end, people will be able to
use Markdown to document their code. The means of achieving the goal
would give us a different final product that achieves the goal in a
slightly different way.

- --
Mateusz K.