[Haskell-cafe] Markdown extension for Haddock as a GSoC project

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 21:05:32 CEST 2013

Oops, forgot to reply all.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Chris Smith" <cdsmith at gmail.com>
Date: Apr 27, 2013 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Markdown extension for Haddock as a GSoC project
To: "Bryan O'Sullivan" <bos at serpentine.com>

I don't agree with this at all.  Far more important than which convention
gets chosen is that Haskell code can be read and written without learning
many dialects of Haddock syntax.  I see an API for pluggable haddock syntax
as more of a liability than a benefit.  Better to just stick to what we
have than fragment into more islands.

I do think that changing Haddock syntax to include common core pieces of
Markdown could be a positive change... but not if it spawns a battle of
fragmented documentation syntax that lasts a decade.