[Haskell-cafe] GSoC proposal: Data Visualization

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 23:55:21 CEST 2013

Hello Ernesto,

There are a number of efforts underway to provide better data vis libraries
for haskell. Likewise, there was some recent discussion on the Diagrams
mailing list about data vis tooling, and there should be a few interesting
tools surfacing over the coming few months.

My immediate concern is that this project is too broad and undefined in
scope to be a successful Haskell GSOC.
A successful GSOC project should have
a) a clear notion of what project's goal is
b) clear evidence that the planned work can reasonably be done over the
summer
c) the result of a successful project would be  valuable to the general
haskell community

It sounds like the core of what you want to do is write a small lib that
transforms a data set from some initial "schema" into the "schema" thats
suitable for some underlying choice in plotting tool.  This is a useful
thing to do, but not large enough in scope for a GSOC project.

On the flip side, interactive data vis tools are *hard* to do well, and a
GSOC that proposed to work on that from scratch would be very very risky
unless you've spent a lot of time working on building such tools.

You're definitely pointing at region of library space where more nice tools
for haskell would be very valuable, and which a number of folks are trying
to address.  But, for GSOC, unless its a very very clearly laid out
proposal, it will be deemed too risky.

I warmly recommend you look at prior years' Haskell GSOC projects to get a
feel for what strong successful projects/proposals look like.

cheers
-Carter