[Haskell-cafe] cabal-install 1.16.0.2 on Mac

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 01:53:24 CEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz>wrote:

> The basic problem is that the University has a strict policy
> that academic staff must not have root access on any machine
> that is connected to the University network.  I was given an
> administrator account so that I could resume the printer and
> install (some) stuff, but /Developer is owned by root, and I
> will be given root access on the Greek Calends.
>
> I would have thought that many organisations would have similar
> policies.

Well, yes (I was one of those admins, although not at your university, for
many years), but if they are installing machines with both Xcode 4.6 under
/Applications and Xcode 4.1 or earlier under /Developer, they are
installing broken machines that will fail to build many packages and where
Xcode may malfunction. /Developer should not exist on a machine with Xcode
4.2 or later installed, at all. You should contact an administrator about
this and have them fix both installed machines and their installation
images or maintenance routines (whatever they went with for OS X).

sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

If they need an official reference on this, I can dig up the relevant Apple
knowledge base article.

> On 12/04/2013, at 2:44 AM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> (Newer Xcode should actually complain and tell you to run the removal
script on startup, because its presence can even break Xcode under some
circumstances.)

> 4.6.1 was the latest available in March when I installed it,
> and it _didn't_ complain or tell me to run any removal script.

I have heard that it is sometimes inconsistent about this; sadly, just
because it didn't notice the older version doesn't mean the older version
won't cause breakage. (As you saw.)