[Haskell-cafe] cabal-install 1.16.0.2 on Mac

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 16:44:13 CEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 1:19 AM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz>wrote:

> On 11/04/2013, at 12:56 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > Xcode 4.2 and on do not use /Developer at all. You have an older Xcode
> on your system somehow, which does not understand newer object files; you
> should remove the entire /Developer tree. (Xcode, in order to be
> distributable via the App Store, is completely self-contained in
> /Applications/Xcode.app.)
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot.  I _am_ able to install stuff, but uninstalling
> generally gives me problems, and removing /Developer is something I'm not
> allowed to do.

I think you need to discuss that with whoever made that dictum; requiring
that a system be broken is not generally a good idea. Many software
packages will find it and use outdated programs or frameworks as a result.
It really needs to not be there at all.

(Newer Xcode should actually complain and tell you to run the removal
script on startup, because its presence can even break Xcode under some
circumstances.)