[Haskell-cafe] Set monad

Petr Pudlák petr.mvd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 11:02:08 CEST 2013

One problem with such monad implementations is efficiency. Let's define

    step :: (MonadPlus m) => Int -> m Int
    step i = choose [i, i + 1]

    -- repeated application of step on 0:
    stepN :: (Monad m) => Int -> m (S.Set Int)
    stepN = runSet . f
      where
        f 0 = return 0
        f n = f (n-1) >>= step

Then `stepN`'s time complexity is exponential in its argument. This is
because `ContT` reorders the chain of computations to right-associative,
which is correct, but changes the time complexity in this unfortunate way.
If we used Set directly, constructing a left-associative chain, it produces
the result immediately:

    step' :: Int -> S.Set Int
    step' i = S.fromList [i, i + 1]

    stepN' :: Int -> S.Set Int
    stepN' 0 = S.singleton 0
    stepN' n = stepN' (n - 1) `setBind` step'
      where
        setBind k f = S.foldl' (\s -> S.union s . f) S.empty k

See also: Constructing efficient monad instances on `Set` (and other
containers with constraints) using the continuation monad <
http://stackoverflow.com/q/12183656/1333025>

Best regards,
Petr Pudlak