[Haskell-cafe] GSoC Project Proposal: Markdown support for Haddock

John MacFarlane jgm at berkeley.edu
Sat Apr 6 01:04:32 CEST 2013

I like markdown and use it all the time.  While I acknowledge the
problems that have been pointed out, markdown has the advantage of being
easily readable "as it is" in the source document, and not looking like
markup.

But I do want to point out one problem with markdown as a format for
documentation in Haskell files.  Consider:

module MyModule
{-
# Introduction

This is my module
-}
where
import System.Environment

main = getArgs >>= print

Now try to compile with -cpp, and you'll get an error because of the '#'
in column 1.  '#' in column 1 is common in markdown (and even
indispensible for level 3+ headers).

One could work around this by disallowing level 3+ headers, by allowing
the headers to be indented, or by introducing new setext-like syntax for
level 3+ headers, but it is a problem for the idea of using a markdown
SUPERset.

John

+++ dag.odenhall at gmail.com [Apr 05 13 21:59 ]: