[Haskell-cafe] GSoC Project Proposal: Markdown support for Haddock

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 01:34:23 CEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest that we implement an alternative haddock syntax that's a
> superset of Markdown. It's a superset in the sense that we still want
> to support linkifying Haskell identifiers, etc. Modules that want to
> use the new syntax (which will probably be incompatible with the
> current syntax) can set:
>
> {-# HADDOCK Markdown #-}

Let me briefly argue for why I suggested Markdown instead of the many
other markup languages out there.

Markdown has won. Look at all the big programming sites out there,
from GitHub to StackOverflow, they all use a superset of Markdown. It
did so mostly (in my opinion) because it codified the formatting style
people were already using in emails and because it was pragmatic
enough to include HTML as an escape hatch.

-- Johan