[Haskell-cafe] Haskell is a declarative language? Let's see how easy it is to declare types of things.

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Thu Apr 4 13:02:34 CEST 2013

Albert Y. C. Lai <trebla <at> vex.net> writes:

> Quantifiers are complicated, but I don't see how explicit is more so
> than implicit. [...] I have just seen recently [...]

Great example. I completely agree.

My feeling is that mathematicians use this principle of leaving out
some of the quantifiers and putting some others in the wrong place
as a cultural entry barrier to protect their field from newbies.

Well, not "use", but "willingly tolerate", perhaps.

(I do have a diploma in mathematics, from a German university.)