[Haskell-cafe] Haskell is a declarative language? Let's see how easy it is to declare types of things.

Alexander Solla alex.solla at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 01:39:40 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Johannes Waldmann <
waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de> wrote:

> All of this just because it seemed, at some time,
> a clever idea to allow the programmer to omit quantifiers?
> (I know, mathematicians do this all over the place,
> but it is never helpful, and especially not when teaching.)

There's your problem.  Mathematicians do this specifically because it is
helpful.  If anything, explicit quantifiers and their interpretations are
more complicated.  People seem to naturally get how scoping works in
mathematics until they have to figure out free and bound variables.