[Haskell-cafe] Haskell is a declarative language? Let's see how easy it is to declare types of things.

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Wed Apr 3 19:36:12 CEST 2013

Hi Tillmann,

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Tillmann Rendel
<rendel at informatik.uni-marburg.de> wrote:
> From the type-theoretic point of view, I guess this is related to your view
> of what a polymorphic function is.

Do you have a reference to the previous conversation?

> but we moved further and further towards the System-F-ish view that polymorphism is an explicit, computational thing.

While that may be true, I read the original email as merely referring
to the explicit annotation of types (where they are customarily
neither seen nor written) as a particular pedagogical approach for new
students, something which has much to recommend for.

Which seems miles away from what you're alluding to. Full-blown
type-level programming? Operational semantics at the type-level? I'm
not sure.

-- Kim-Ee