[Haskell-cafe] Discovery of unnecessary build-depends

Jason Whittle jason at funnelfire.com
Fri Sep 28 20:29:07 CEST 2012

Is there a tool available that will tell me if the cabal file for my
library or application has any unnecessary build-depends?

I have a habit of developing new modules within an application and then
moving them out to separate libraries. For instance, I might move module
Foo out of my application and into a new or existing library package. If
Foo was the only module in my application to explicitly import any modules
from the Bar package, I would like to know that I can now remove the
dependency on Bar from my application's build-depends in the cabal file.

My strategy right now would be to search my whole application for other
imports of any of the modules from the Bar package, or just remove Bar from
build-depends and check if the application still compiles. Neither solution
is particularly scalable or satisfying.

Cheers,
Jason Whittle