[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.13 and GHC 7.6 in parallel on Linux

mukesh tiwari mukeshtiwari.iiitm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 18:35:18 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 9:32 PM, spacestation at venussociety.org <
spacestation at venussociety.org> wrote:

> **
>  Hello to everyone,
>

> First of all sorry if my question posted to this list is maybe OFF TOPIC.
> Myself is using Haskell from time to time on WIN XP and OpenSuse system.
> So far without a problem using RWH book as reference and 6.12 version with
> a lot of modules installed via cabal.
> Also a Hugs install from source on my OpenSuse system only caused minor
> problems.setting a symlink solved the minor problem.
> But what surprised me totally was that Hugs/Cabal and (or ) GHC are using
> shared libraries and Hugs install interfered with cabal/ghc.
> I thought that both systems are totally independent from each other.Hugs a
> Haskell code interpreter GHV a Haskell code compiler.
>
> But now my question :
>
> How is it possible to run 2 different versions of GHC on the same computer
> ( OS , in my case OpenSuse  6.1x and hopefully 7.6 )

It's possible to install two versions of GHC ( see the installation
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/6.10.1/html/users_guide/installing-bin-distrib.html).

The configure script takes a number of flags. The most commonly used is the
--prefix=*/path/to/install/in* flag, which tells the bundle that you want
it to be installed in */path/to/install/in* rather than the default
location (/usr/local). To see all the flags that configure accepts,
run configure
--help.

> Any search for "running GHC versions in parallel only  returned results
> for the DPH extensions wiki  but not how to run two GHC versions on the
> same OS.
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/Data_Parallel_Haskell
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Parallel
>

> So any feedback welcome