[Haskell-cafe] 64-bit vs 32-bit haskell platform on Mac: misleading notice on Platform website?

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 07:44:12 CEST 2012

Hi Eugene,
To the best of my knowledge there is absolutely no reason to use the 32bit
haskell on OS X (aside from memory usage optimization cases which likely do
not matter to the *typical* user), and the community should probably update
the recommendation to reflect this.

I can certainly attest to having to baby sit new haskellers when installing
and repeatedly say  "yes, do the 64 bit version, please, no, ignore the
recommendation for 32bit, no one knows why its there, but its wrong"

what can we (the community ) do to address the fact that the haskell
platform installer suggestions for os x are sadly completely backwards? (or
am I completely wrong in my personal stance on this matter)

cheers
-Carter