[Haskell-cafe] Organizaing tests in Haskell

Simon Hengel sol at typeful.net
Sun Sep 23 19:00:51 CEST 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 06:11:59PM +0200, Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
> Simon Hengel wrote:
> >>Of course others are still able to import your Internal modules
> >
> >That is not necessarily true.  For libraries, you can list internal
> >modules as other-modules (in contrast to exposed-modules) in you Cabal
> >file.  That way they are not part of the public interface of your
> >library.
>
> How do I access internal modules with  cabal test , though? Last
> time I tried, I could not find a way to expose in the test section
> of the cabal file.

It works, if you add the source directory to hs-source-dirs of the test
suite (in contrast to depending on the library!), e.g.:

  hs-source-dirs: test, src

or

  hs-source-dirs: test, .

This still has the disadvantage, that the sources are compiled twice.
But I'm not aware of a better way to do it.  If you mostly use GHCi for
development, it's not a big issue.

Cheers,
Simon