[Haskell-cafe] simple servers

brad clawsie clawsie at fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 19 18:06:57 CEST 2012

Hi cafe

looking at

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Simple_Servers

The last two solutions compared are forkIO vs. explicit event support
(based on what was System.Event).

Further reading appears to indicate that event support has been
integrated into the runtime.

Is it true that writing a simple server using forkIO now integrates
native event loops implicitly? Or do I still need to create code that
explicitly uses (what is now) GHC.Event?

One last question. When writing C code, using epoll apis explicitly
can impose some blocking. Is the same to be said for GHC.Event?

I know all of the changes I am discussing seemed to happen in ghc more
than a year ago, sorry, I just can't find anything to explicitly guide
me here.

Thanks!
Brad