[Haskell-cafe] Church vs Boehm-Berarducci encoding of Lists

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 05:58:06 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 8:39 PM, Dan Doel <dan.doel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Ryan Ingram <ryani.spam at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Fascinating!
> >
> > But it looks like you still 'cheat' in your induction principles...
> >
> > ×-induction : ∀{A B} {P : A × B → Set}
> >             → ((x : A) → (y : B) → P (x , y))
> >             → (p : A × B) → P p
> > ×-induction {A} {B} {P} f p rewrite sym (×-η p) = f (fst p) (snd p)
> >
> > Can you somehow define
> >
> > x-induction {A} {B} {P} f p = p (P p) f
>
> No, or at least I don't know how.
>
> The point is that with parametricity, I can prove that if p : A × B,
> then p = (fst p , snd p). Then when I need to prove P p, I change the
> obligation to P (fst p , snd p). But i have (forall x y. P (x , y))
> given.
>
> I don't know why you think that's cheating. If you thought it was
> going to be a straight-forward application of the Church (or some
> other) encoding, that was the point of the first paper (that's
> impossible). But parametricity can be used to prove statements _about_
> the encodings that imply the induction principle.

The line of logic I was thinking is that you could lift the parametricity
proof to the (proof-irrelevant) typelevel; that is, you rewrite the type of
f from

f :: (x : A) -> (y : B) -> P (x,y)

f :: A -> B -> P p

given that p = (x,y), to make f 'compatible' with p.  But I see the
trickiness, because if you allow yourself to do that, you no longer are
constrained to pass (fst p) and (snd p) to f, you could pass any objects of
type A and B.

Wait, can't you just use x-lemma1 to rewrite the rhs of x-induction?

×-lemma₁ : ∀{A B R} → (p : A × B) (k : A → B → R)
         → k (fst p) (snd p) ≡ p R k

x-lemma1 {A} {B} {P p} p f :: f (fst p) (snd p) = p (P p) f

Or is the problem that the "k" parameter to x-lemma1 isn't 'dependently
typed' enough?

  -- ryan