[Haskell-cafe] [ANNOUNCE] Fmark markup language

José Lopes jose.lopes at ist.utl.pt
Wed Sep 19 02:21:01 CEST 2012

Hey Richard,

Regarding the languages, I think it is better to start with English
and see how successful Fmark is. There's no point in trying to tackle
lots of languages if we cannot solve the problem for one of them.
But then again, keeping everything Unicode.

In fact, in this matter, I think with Haskell we have an advantage
because things like 'isSpace' and 'isPuncuation' work with Unicode.

I now understand that the README.md is rather incomplete. I will
add some more information about the markup. Although, things
like bold, italics and so on are not implemented yet.

I will also take a look at your letter example. I think the real
challenge here is center alignment. I will think about a
way to solve it in Fmark so we can discuss it later on.

Thank you for the feedback.

Cheers,
José

On 19-09-2012 00:37, Richard O'Keefe wrote:
> On 19/09/2012, at 1:43 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>>> The problem with that is that some people DO end some headings with
>>> a full stop; for them your special syntax is not natural.
>> Markdown/ReST is already using the "no syntax" idea (e.g. compared to
>> pre-wiki markup such a LaTeX or Texinfo), so he's simply trying to push
>> this idea further.
> Markdown is very heavy on syntax,
> what it is *light* on is specification of what the
> syntax actually is.  As a result,
> I'm aware of three different dialects,
> and someone told me about having to reverse
> engineer the syntax from a Perl implementation.
> As a further result, I cannot write a program to
> reliably *generate* Markdown.
>> I suspect it'll be difficult.
> Oh, more power to him for trying.
> I just don't think it can be pushed very far.
>
> Oh, there is a really *filthy* hack that could be pulled
> for italics, bold face, and so on.  Contrary to its original
> principles, Unicode includes several copies of ASCII
> (see http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D400.pdf):
> Mathematical bold,
> Mathematical italic,
> Mathematical bold italic,
> Mathematical script,
> Mathematical bold script,
> Mathematical fraktur,
> Mathematical double struck (blackboard-bold),
> Mathematical bold fraktur,
> Mathematical sans-serif,
> Mathematical sans-serif bold,
> Mathematical sans-serif italic,
> Mathematical sans-serif bold italic,
> Mathematical monospace,
> and some similar sets of Greek.
> So as long as you don't want strike-through or underlying,
> and as long as you don't want italic Cyrillic &c, ...
> Too bad if you want a bold italic capital Thorn...
>
>>> What if I want to use indentation to express quotation instead?
>> I think this one is solvable: a paragraph that's more indented than the
>> previous heading can be considered a quote.
> Ah, but the quotation might not end with a sentence terminator,
> so that would be considered a new heading.

José António Branquinho de Oliveira Lopes
Instituto Superior Técnico
Technical University of Lisbon