[Haskell-cafe] Church vs Boehm-Berarducci encoding of Lists

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Tue Sep 18 11:15:52 CEST 2012

Oleg,

Let me try to understand what you're saying here:

(1) Church encoding was discovered and investigated in an untyped setting.
I understand your tightness criterion to mean surjectivity, the absence of
which means having to deal with junk.

(2) Church didn't give an encoding for pattern-matching to match with
construction. Boehm and Berarducci did. So properly speaking, tail and pred
for Church-encoded lists and nats are trial-and-error affairs. But the
point is they need not be if we use B-B encoding, which looks _exactly_ the
same, except one gets a citation link to a systematic procedure.

So it looks like you're trying to set the record straight on who actually
did what.

-- Kim-Ee