[Haskell-cafe] Optimal line length for haskell

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Mon Oct 29 13:17:04 CET 2012

* Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> [2012-10-29 17:20:20+0530]
> There was a recent discussion on the python list regarding maximum line
> length.
> It occured to me that beautiful haskell programs tend to be plump (ie have
> long lines) compared to other languages whose programs are 'skinnier'.
> My thoughts on this are at
> http://blog.languager.org/2012/10/layout-imperative-in-functional.html.
>
> Are there more striking examples than the lexer from the standard prelude?
> [Or any other thoughts/opinions :-) ]

Indeed, I've seen quite a few Haskell projects with long lines.

Personally, I find it hard to read and very irritating. I always use
80-chars lines in my projects.

It seems that people who write long lines mostly come from academic
background, where there's less emphasis on maintainability (no offense;
also, I haven't conducted a proper statistical research — this is just an
impression).

Roman