[Haskell-cafe] Auto-termination and leftovers in Conduits

Myles C. Maxfield myles.maxfield at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 21:20:56 CEST 2012

Hey,
Say I have a stream of Data.Text.Text objects flowing through a
conduit, where the divisions between successive Data.Text.Text items
occur at arbitrary boundaries (maybe the source is sourceFile $=
decode utf8). I'd like to create a Sink that returns a tuple of (the
first line, the rest of the input).

My first attempt at this looks like this:

sink = do
  out1 <- CT.lines C.=$ CL.head
  out2 <- CL.consume
  return (out1, T.concat out2)

However, the following input provides:

runIdentity $ CL.sourceList ["abc\nde", "f\nghi"] C.$$ sink
(Just "abc","f\nghi")

But what I really want is
(Just "abc", "\ndef\nghi")

I think this is due to the auto-termination you mention in [1]. My
guess is that when CT.lines yields the first value, (CL.head then also
yields it,) and execution is auto-terminated before CT.lines gets a
chance to specify any leftovers.

How can I write this sink? (I know I can just use CL.consume and
T.break (== '\n'), but I'm not interested in that. I'm trying to
figure out how to get the behavior I'm looking for with conduits.)

Thanks,
Myles

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/conduit/0.5.2.7/doc/html/Data-Conduit.html