[Haskell-cafe] [Off-topic] How unimportant it is whether submarines can swim (EWD1056)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 00:17:27 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Henk-Jan van Tuyl <hjgtuyl at chello.nl> wrote:

> L.S.,
>
> I thought you might be interested to know, that I have translated one of
> prof. Edsger W. Dijkstra's writings to English[0]. I will submit this
> translation to the E. W. Dijkstra Archive of the University of Texas[1].

Comments:

- "with which popular believe" (popular belief?)
- "between day and night" (night and day is more idiomatic in English,
isn't it?)
- 'The advantage of this poetic license is that it allows us to put an
algebraic expression as (a+b)/c, a program fragment as x := x+1, and a
decimal number like 729 all three under the same heading "formula".'
(all three is weirdly run together with the list)
- "Our traditional argues" (?)

The hyphenation also strikes me as odd but I guess not actually wrong.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net