[Haskell-cafe] Problems translating Conor McBride's talk into Haskell + DataKind + KindPoly

Ahn, Ki Yung kyagrd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 03:07:10 CEST 2012

Most part of Conor's talk at ICFP, until just before the last stage
where he heavily uses true value dependency for compiler correctness all
the code seemed to be able to translate into Haskell with the new hot
DataKinds and PolyKinds extension.

I tried it in GHC 7.4.1 and it was possible to do it, but I got stuck
and I had to make the generic list structure mono-kinded with kind
signatures rather not use the PolyKinds extension.

I wonder if this is just a but of GHC 7.4.1's implementation of
PolyKinds, or a limitation of the DataKind design.

I attached a literate Haskell script with this message that illustrates
this problem.

Thanks in advance for any comments including whether it runs in later
versions or still has problems, and discussions about the DataKinds and
PolyKinds extension.

Ki Yung