[Haskell-cafe] serialize an unknown type

Iustin Pop iusty at k1024.org
Sun Oct 21 20:51:27 CEST 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 08:11:50PM +0200, Corentin Dupont wrote:
> Hi Iustin,
> yes I want to deserialize an unknown type based on the content of the file
> (in this example).
> Let's say I can reduce the spectum of types to: Strings, all the types in
> Enum, Ints. Is it possible?

Maybe :) I don't know how to do "all the types in enum". For Strings,
Ints and Float, you could have something like: serialise a pair instead
of just the type, and decode:

data Event = EventString String | EventInt Int | EventFloat Float
…
  (kind, val) <- read in_data
  return $ case kind of
    "string" -> EventString val
	"int -> EventInt (read val)
	"float" -> EventFloat (read val)

But this is only for a very few specific types.

> My real problem is that on my web interface I want to use web routes to
> allow a user to pass an Event back to the engine.
> The problem is that it seems that web-routes only accepts Strings (or some
> known types) to be passed on the web route, whereas I need to pass random
> types.

Are you sure you need to pass random types? Can't you define a (large)
set of known types, for example?

regards,
iustin