[Haskell-cafe] forkProcess, forkIO, and multithreaded runtime

Alexander Kjeldaas alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 21:55:44 CEST 2012

On 15 October 2012 09:47, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think I have a misunderstanding of how forkProcess should be working.
> Ultimately this relates to some bugs in the development version of keter,
> but I've found some behavior in a simple test program which I wouldn't have
> expected either, which may or may not be related.
>
> With the program at the end of this email, I would expect that, once per
> second, I would get a message printed from each forkIO'd green thread, the
> forked process, and the master process. And if I spawn 8 or less child
> threads that's precisely what happens. However, as soon as I up that number
> to 9, the child process is never run. The process is, however, created, as
> can be confirmed by looking at the process table.
>
> This only occurs when using the multithreaded runtime. In other words,
> compiling with "ghc --make test.hs" seems to always produce the expected
> output, whereas "ghc --make -threaded test.hs" causes the behavior
> described above. Having looked through the code for the process package a
> bit, my initial guess is that this is being caused by a signal being sent
> to the child process, but I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings
> to confirm or disprove this guess.
>
> If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd appreciate it.

Not being familiar with the implementation, I'll just note that combining
fork() with threads, as in the multithreaded RTS is going to have subtle
bugs, no matter what.  The only winning strategy is to not play that game.

There are variants of this, but the meta-problem is that at the point in
time when you call forkProcess, you must control all threads, ensuring that
*all invariants hold*.  Thus no locks held, no thread is in the C library,
no foreign calls active etc.  As an example, if one thread is in the C
library doing some stdio, then the invariants in that library will not
hold, and you cannot expect stdio to work in the child.  This means that
the only thing you can really do in the child process is call exec.

These issues do not exist in the non-threaded world.

Alexander