[Haskell-cafe] Why Kleisli composition is not in the Monad signature?

damodar kulkarni kdamodar2000 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 04:05:34 CEST 2012

@Jake

In my opinion, this is not as nice as the do-notation version, but at
> least it's compositional:

That's an important point you have made, as Haskellers value code
composition so much.
If code composition is the "holy grail", why not encourage the monadic
code, too, to be compositional? Nicety can wait; some syntax sugar might
take care of it.

And as you have pointed out, arrows make a superior choice in this regard,
but they are rather newer to monads.

@ AUGER Cédric

 It would be rather awful to expand each of your Kleisli arrows with

"const" as you said.

The const is required in this example because we are dealing with getLine
(as getLine can return different strings at different times without taking
any argument). Again, some syntactic sugar would have taken care of this
"const" thing.

Correct me if I am wrong.

and thanks for responses.

Damodar