[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: luachunk-0.1

Anupam Jain ajnsit at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 12:48:15 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Kristopher Micinski
<krismicinski at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, this is nice, we have our undergrads implement a compiler to Lua
> bytecode as part of their term projects, and currently use a homebrew
> OCaml package.  This seems to be pretty complete, however, and it
> would be interesting for me to reimplement some stuff with this..

Please do! It would be great to have some real world testing.

> Unfortunately the Lua bytecode isn't really documented or intended to
> be generated, meaning that you essentially have to reverse engineer
> it.  (Maybe not "unfortunately;" it's not meant to be used like that,
> but unfortunately for people looking to find projects to assign
> people...)

I used the excellent "A No-Frills Introduction to Lua 5.1 VM
Instructions" (http://scholar.google.com/scholar?cluster=14039839166840129336).
Highly recommended to get a quick overview of the entire bytecode format.

-- Anupam