[Haskell-cafe] Am I the only one having problems with RWH?

Mark Thom markjordanthom at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 21:25:03 CEST 2012

I also had problems when I began reading RHW, early in my career as a
Haskell beginner. The functional pearl on monadic parsers by Hutton and
Meijer was a great help in understanding the thinking behind Parsec. While
reading it, I had some difficulty understanding why certain functions
should ever terminate, but once I got past that, it made chapter 10 of RWH
much easier to understand. Also, the functional pearl on applicative
functors by Conor McBride and a second author (can't recall his name) blew
the door open on the subject, for me.