[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: test-framework-golden-1.1

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Fri Oct 5 09:29:55 CEST 2012

* Simon Hengel <sol at typeful.net> [2012-10-05 09:07:19+0200]
> Hi,
>
> > I am glad to announce the first public release of
> > test-framework-golden — a golden testing library.
>
> Nice!
>
> > The library is integrated with test-framework, so you can use golden
> > tests in addition to SmallCheck/QuickCheck/HUnit tests.
>
> I would suggest to rename the modules to
>
>     Test.Framework.Golden
>
> and
>
>     Test.Framework.Golden.Advanced
>
> to more clearly represent that fact.

According to the test-framework convention, they ought to be named

  Test.Framework.Providers.Golden

and

  Test.Framework.Providers.Golden.Advanced

respectively, and you can see that it was the case in the early
versions:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/test-framework-golden-1.0

But it's just too much to type.

My justification (which you may or may not buy) is that, unlike, say,
Test.Framework.Providers.HUnit, this is not an adaptation of an existing
testing library to test-framework, but is a new library that just
happens to use test-framework. So it's more like Test.HUnit, although it
already subsumes what would become Test.Framework.Providers.Golden.

Roman