[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 246
Daniel Santa Cruz
dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 02:10:21 CEST 2012
Welcome to issue 246 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits
of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the
week of September 23 to September 23, 2012.
Want to contribute quotes for HWN? Until today the only way to help
with those was to use @remember in the IRC channel. Now you can also
use @HWNQuotes in twitter to submit quotes for the weekly newsletter.
Quotes of the Week
* carpi: all said ... the brain of someone of who writes compilers
for haskell scares me nuts. I wouldn't want them concentrating on
me, lest I catch fire.
* Igloo: The major problem, as far as I can see, is how to construct
* edwardk: i want to be able to know if the compiler is being stupid
or if its just me, and without any sort of model to reason about it
with, i always have to assume it could be the compiler; i already
have to deal with that problem, its called 'scala'
* ddarius: Now I can just point people at a readable and relevant
paper instead of having to Cale it.
* rwbarton: also, a generally safe answer to "was there an update to
lambdabot recently" is "no"
* camccann: you want a debugger? GHC has one. Except that stepping
through lazy evaluation is like listening to a stream of
consciousness narrative told by a 5-year-old with ADHD.
Top Reddit Stories
* My Haskell book is not dead! I'd love some feedback now that it's six
chapters long and growing.
Domain: sthaskell.com, Score: 61, Comments: 18
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/AfLwS
Original:  http://goo.gl/oB0e8
* What commercial users say they want from Haskell
Domain: fpcomplete.com, Score: 46, Comments: 54
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/JTtMG
Original:  http://goo.gl/ZoHrh
* Haskell rewarding moments: Orc Battle translation
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 41, Comments: 22
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/5xjJJ
Original:  http://goo.gl/5xjJJ
* Does Stroustroup have some FP envy? This is a pretty neat library
implementation of pattern matching in C++.
Domain: open-std.org, Score: 40, Comments: 44
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/PH7ZU
Original:  http://goo.gl/KuGrw
* Functional TDD: a clash of cultures?
Domain: facebook.com, Score: 34, Comments: 34
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/9xBLo
Original:  http://goo.gl/kOi2G
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 33, Comments: 21
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/GdlMi
Original:  http://goo.gl/GdlMi
* Oh the fun of trying to install wxhaskell
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 33, Comments: 33
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/4F3Fu
Original:  http://goo.gl/4F3Fu
* Lazy v. Yield: Incremental, Linear Pretty-printing
(Kiselyov, Peyton-Jones, Sabry) [pdf]
Domain: cs.indiana.edu, Score: 31, Comments: 54
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/PfVHl
Original:  http://goo.gl/ub46l
* Call for discussion: OverloadedLists extension
Domain: gist.github.com, Score: 24, Comments: 52
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/0O1G8
Original:  http://goo.gl/xYyTq
* Real World Haskell: is there a second edition coming?
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 24, Comments: 9
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/rjjQb
Original:  http://goo.gl/rjjQb
* Introduction to Functional Reactive Programming [video]
Domain: blog.edwardamsden.com, Score: 23, Comments: 3
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/vSVKP
Original:  http://goo.gl/IH3MF
Top StackOverflow Questions
* What optimizations can GHC be expected to perform reliably?
votes: 27, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/E6bH4
* A simple example showing that IO doesn't satisfy the monad laws?
votes: 22, answers: 4
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/YptHT
* Are there any good use cases for OverlappingInstances?
votes: 12, answers: 3
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/FLChO
* Why is ListT monad transformer considered buggy - what
monad laws it breaks?
votes: 11, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/HX7Oa
* How to build and use a bootstrap executable in a Cabal package
votes: 10, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/tvA03
* Continuation passing style representation of types
votes: 10, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/6R60n
* GHC code generation for type class function calls
votes: 10, answers: 3
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/3ggvE
* Why inductive datatypes forbid types like `data Bad a = C (Bad a ->
where the type recursion occurs in front of ->?
votes: 10, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/jtG6d
* Are functions of arity-n really just an n-category due to currying?
Can they be made into a 1-category?
votes: 9, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/JfJLF
* Setting socket options on OSX
votes: 9, answers: 0
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/aybHY
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Haskell-Cafe