[Haskell-cafe] Can a GC delay TCP connection formation?

Gershom Bazerman gershomb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 20:45:22 CET 2012

On 11/27/12 2:17 PM, Jason Dagit wrote:
> Based on that I would check the FFI imports in your database library.
> In the best case (-threaded, 'safe', and thread-safe odbc), I think
> you'll find that N of these can run concurrently, but here your number
> of requests is likely to be much greater than N (where N is the number
> of threads the RTS created with +RTS -N).
HDBC-odbc has long used the wrong type of FFI imports, resulting in
long-running database queries potentially blocking all other IO. I just
checked, and apparently a patch was made to the repo in September that
finally fixes this [1], but apparently a new release has yet to be
uploaded to hackage. In any case, if you try to install it from the
repo, this may at least solve some of your problems.